Become a Certified Academic Language Practitioner
This opportunity is reserved for those who have completed Payne’s Structured Language Basics course since 2015.
CALP courses are scheduled by demand. If you are interested in taking this course, please fill out our CALP Class Interest Form. Once we have your information, and enough interest, we’ll be in touch. We need a minimum of 7 attendees for this class to make.
More information about Certified Academic Language Practitioners is available on ALTA’s website here.
CALP Class Interest Form
What do I have do to complete my Certification?
- Attend Payne’s 5-day Structured Language Basics Course
- Attend 3, 5-hour seminars held at Payne Education Center (1 fall, 2 spring)
- Complete 5 demonstration lessons with a Payne Qualified Instructor conducted by video using Sibme
- Log 60 hours of Practicum, 90 40-minute lessons or equivalent
- Pass ALTA’s Competency Exam for MSLE, offered online at numerous locations
What will I be able to do as a CALP?
- Demonstrate knowledge of language development
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of structure of written language
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of dyslexia, written language disorders & other related disorders
- Interpret testing
- Use diagnostic & prescriptive MSL strategies to improve reading, spelling, & written expression
- Apply relevant research in instructional practice
- Use Section 504 & IDEA to guide professional conduct & advocacy
- Follow ethical standards for the profession
- Communicate effectively orally & in writing with colleagues, parents & other professionals
What does this National Certification do for me?
- Provides educators with a highly sought designation
- Elevates the profession of MSL Educators
- Promotes professional expertise to consumers
- Allows state, national, and international certification portability to MSL educators
- Gives states a guideline for potential licensure